12-13-14 AKA Day One Water Fasting

What were you doing on 12-13-14?

Well, here’s what I was up to.  Day 1.  My water-only fast officially begins.

I slept very well last night.  I woke up just before 7 a.m., got dressed, made my bed and read for a little while.  The doctors came by on their rounds around 8 a.m.  Dr. Linzer and another doctor (whose name I can’t recall) stopped by to take my blood pressure (174/114), temperature (97.something), weight (317.4) and run some test on my urine.  They were both very nice.  I wish I could remember the other Doctor’s name.  She did rounds this afternoon and was very kind.

They let me know that I had an appointment with Dr. Lorn at 10.  Dr. Lorn was amazing.  I felt instantly at ease with her and felt like we had a great rapport.  She went through the paperwork that I initially submitted back at the end of September.  I was happy to see that some of the issues that were bothering me at the time have cleared up quite a bit.  I was happy to learn that Dr. Lorn does cranial sacral therapy. I will likely make an appointment for that in a few days.  She stressed that she was interested in my overall well-being and asked me to really take advantage of my time here–to figure out what makes me happy, what I would love to do if there were no limits.  She also stressed the importance of rest, and not just physical rest, but rest from stress.  We talked a bit about stress and what some of the stressors are that we deal with daily that we may not even consider to be stress.  It gave me a lot to think about.

I spent the rest of the day being extremely lazy, napping on my bed, watching tv and reading.  I feel a bit like a lazy slug, but I am enjoying it.

My roommate is on day 12 or 13 of her fast.  She is sweet and we spent a little time today working on a puzzle.  She invited me to go over to the dining room with her at dinner time to meet some of the other participants.  Unfortunately this didn’t last long for me.  Partially because I was feeling a bit shy (I know…not usually a term used in conjunction with me), but more so because the food smelled so good that I thought I might go mad.  The had the standard fresh fruit and vegetables out as well as what appeared to be a beautiful lasagne, bok choy, brussel sprouts and a lovely soup. I wish I had taken pictures-.  They were beautiful!  Seriously, the smells about did me.  My mouth has been watering ever since.

And, as far as me being shy, I just need a good opportunity to interact with the others.  Tomorrow morning Dr. Lisle will be giving a lecture at 10:30.  I am excited about that.  He is a very engaging speaker (look him up on youtube).  I’m also hoping that this will give me an opportunity to meet a few other people without having to battle the yummy smells of the kitchen.

I spent a few minutes walking around the courtyard and enjoying the evening air.  It really is lovely here.  There are a lot of herbs and some tomatoes growing in the courtyard and it smells absolutely delightful.  I’m not sure if it is sage that catches me every time or what, but I love it.

As for the fast, I haven’t been super hungry–other than the half-hour following my foray to the dining room.  I have a bit of a lower back ache–which I attribute mainly to laying around so long.  With my weak lower back I will have to be careful not to lay around for too long without doing some stretching and laps around the courtyard.  I have a bit of a headache, but not bad.  Just enough that I’m aware of it.

When the nice lady doctor came around for afternoon rounds, my BP was at 160/110–so improved.  That is what we want to see.

The one thing that I am having a bit of a hard time with is that I feel greasy–I haven’t washed my hair since last night and where my hair is so short it looks dirty more quickly than longer hair.  It will be interesting to see how I deal with this.  It just feels odd to be out and around people in my sweats, with no make-up and not looking my best.  While fasting we aren’t allowed to shower because there is increased risk of us getting low blood pressure, dizziness, passing out.  Apparently it won’t be a big deal after a few days.  We shall see.

I’m going to go take a few more laps around the courtyard and call it a night.  Thus far, I’m considering my stay here to be successful–just what I expected.


One thought on “12-13-14 AKA Day One Water Fasting

  1. Wow, I SO LOVE the details. I almost felt I was there when I read this. I love Dr. Lorn!! I so look forward to reading about each and every day! [http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com]

Talk To Me!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s